Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Joe Maneri

Joe Maneri was my teacher for the 4 years I lived in Boston. He's had a greater impact on me -- musically, personally, spiritually -- than anyone else I've ever met. He's one of the true great geniuses of the last 50 years. Really.

He was very supportive of me, and helped me out a lot. He introduced me to a lot of cats, and he was always telling people "Greg Pagel -- he's one of the best piano players in the fucking world!" He always said my wife had a face like an angel. The last time I saw him was the day before we moved bak to Wisconsin in 1997. We were at his house, and his wife made spinach pasta for us. It was amazing.

In this video, he's the guy holding the saxophone and singing briefly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i echo your sentiments about Joe- i love him from here to sunset- he taught me even though i didn't have money to go to that conservatory, and has been an amazing friend to me these past eight or nine years. . . . his music is unlike anything else, anywhere- there's no one like him in the world. thank you for this video-

katt hernandez
violinist
philadelphia